Sunday, 24 November 2013

A New Balance for Skylon


SO I have been called upon to deliver ‘the goods’ for Skylon, with a listwhich was very reminiscent of a Fear and Loathing drugs collection, you know;
“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

So with the madman over water, I had understood the HMS HST as the ever changing name of the ship of fools went, was in need of plentiful supplies of booze, sun tan cream and clothes.

I also noted with much humour that Skylon had not asked for food, but why would such a man require sustenance, when he had a fulsome supply of hard liquor and narcotics???!!!

With the knowledge that the HMS HST is being sailed by a man, who is skirting along the edge of insanity, my first choice for inclusion was some of the Swims galoshes which are a superb way of ensuring safety under foot and protecting treasured shoes.

I included the brown, blue and orange. I also extended my on going romance with everything New Balance, including the ‘peppermint’ and ‘classic English breakfast’ 576s, known as the ‘tea pack’ range, both of these have to be seen to be believed, along with the tan nubuck and M1500, which is most performance driven shoe in the range, sporting the smaller N logo and comes in burgundy or green. Well having seen all those trainers go overboard with the former crew, it was all I could do.

I was always unsure, weather wise, what to drop in, but I knew I just had to blitz in some seasonal winter jumpers, would be appreciated, so I included a few Fox & Sons pieces.
Specifically the silver half Donegal, pure wool round neck and green half, along with the very festive Fairisle round neck, which is delicious.

Locating my old chum was not difficult, the sat-phone gave us the rough location and the constant music blaring out, plus His Nibs hanging from all aspects of the boat setting fires, firing guns and a constant volley of flares made him fairly easy to pinpoint.

The tunes of course have become a staple entertainment for the guys at Cohiba HQ, due in no small part to the one-way phone contact we have with Skylon, I am particularly taken with his choices.
The latest tunes de jour are:

Alpine – Hands
Dive – Human
Steve Mason – Fire
The Others  – Truth That Hurts
Future Pilot AKA  – Witchi Tai To 
I Am Kloot – Proof
DJ Greyboy – Guitar String
Real Estate – Beach Comber
Best Coast – Sun Was High
Temples – Colours to Life

Some mighty fine tunage from a rampant mad man lost at sea me thinks …

Haste Siempre Victoria