Thursday, 4 October 2012

A head for heights, sorry, hats



HATS seem to have played an important part in the Skylon family lineage, be it the Coochoo red Indian tribes headdress that was bestowed on my father after an evening of cards and rum below deck on HMS Fearless after a particularly difficult rum running episode to the New York Port Harbour, during the prohibition. 
The headdress was given to to my father by one of the Kennedy clan.
It ended up in flames, so I believe, as my father played jumping bases, as it was originally named, from the Statue of Liberty. 
It has been alleged that feathers were so high proof from the drinking that the statue’s famous torch ignited, but that’s another story and potentially damaging, legally, to our ‘special friendship’.
I clearly remember another night of excess, in fact I barely remember any other type of night, when I was accosted by Interpol after removing the Crown of Dauphin Louis Antoine used by Charles X.
Now I think I was harshly judged on this, I was naked, it was cold and the Seine is not the place to be swimming without any form of motorised assistance, even after five bottles of Legacy rum.
Was a shame to waste the last bottle, but once I’d climbed back up the Mont de Pont Neuf, my old pal the Duke of Ellesanebastian used one as a Molotov to throw at the local Gendarmerie and my legeal defcne Charles Xavier, got me off on a £2million bail. 

What a hoot, as was using the hat worn by the Maharaja of Jaipur as a disguise during a wild goose shoot. The heat from my Mauser caused havoc with the silk, I was very lucky there I can tell you.
The leap from the roof of the Place of Versailles into one of the pools to douse the flames was not as far as suggested in Bill Clinton’s book on ‘Gun fun with alcohol’.
I get a similar feeling of irreverence having looked upon the new Stetson Hatteras range of hats which use silk and linen and definitely support that old saying ‘If you want to get ahead … ‘
The newsboy style of these caps, which come in a variety of finishes including herringbone, (lightbrown, grey and waxed brown).
The linen caps have the same features and come in grey, tan, denim, which has a nice beige tip to the peak and indigo.
All boasting a nice leather tab on the back, these lightweight hats are distinctive and stylish, with hand-crafted tradition and all cut in 8/4 pattern.















It’s so nice to see quality like this, along with new labels such as Holland Esquire, Marshall Artist, and the delicious Made & Crafted range from Levis all dovetailing together for a sublime autumn winter look.

















Now, where has that Mahan head piece gone? I really must sort the south wing of the Manor out before the second test firing of Bloodhound gets underway at the weekend.