Melton Wool Naval Pea Coat, military anchor buttons, hand warmer pockets, vented back and nylon quilted lining.
- The wool is 75 percent reprocessed wool, 25 percent nylon and other fibers. The contents are interlocked and pressed together befor the wool is cut to ensure maximum protection against the elements.
- The US Navy Pea Coat was adopted during the early 20th Century, from Britain’s Royal Navy Reefer Jacket. The Royal Navies first regulations for uniforms for other ranks were issued in 1857, a century after the regulations for officers and this garment was originally used by Midshipmen ( Reefers ).
- These crewmen had to climb the rigging and furl and unfurl, or ‘reef’, the sails of the sailing ships of the era. The jacket was short, to allow ease of movement through the rigging. It had a double-breasted front, which displaced the buttons to each side. This helped reduce the chance of them getting caught on ropes, as the wearer maneuvered the sails
The pockets were often close to vertical, and over the flanks, rather than horizontal and at wrist level. It was made of a very heavy wool, in dark Navy blue, with a nap on the face side.The success of the style is proved by its singularly universal appearance throughout the Navies of Europe.
- This may account for the US Navies nomenclature as an Anglicization of the Dutch ‘Pijekkat, being a jacket made of ‘Pij’ (a coarse wool) cloth. Conversely, it may be from the shortening of the Belgium Navies term ‘Pilot’s Jacket’ to P. Jacket, then being misspelt / adapted to Pea Coat. The term ‘Pea Jacket’ is reputed to first appear in the Oxford English Dictionary between 1717 and 1723. ‘Pea Coat’ does not appear for another century.
Nav Gill From Scotland 25/09/2008
- Melton Wool Naval Pea Coat 740.
" I got the idea to search the internet for the name of the jacket and very easily found stuartslondon homepage. I ordered the jacket in the same size and colour of my old version (seven years old to be exact), paid with my creditcard and crossed my fingers. Just 4 days after I got the jacket and it was just perfect! Everything was just the same, also the quality!
Except that my girlfriend now enjoys to go for a walk with me again, rather than seeing me in my shabby old one.
Thank you very much Stuartslondon.com for this experience! It is nice that not everything changes in the world today. Knowing now where to get excellent service I am sure it wont take 7 seven until I will buy my next jacket. "